The game is fun! I find it's a bit too much self-service when it comes to difficulty. You can give yourself maximum bombs and then all levels become super easy. I feel level 20 should be challenging no matter what you tweak in the UI.
The Ancient Art of Staying Alive
A downloadable Retro arcade game for Windows and Linux
Based on the old "Daleks" game, TAAOSA turns the concept into an arcade game with 20 levels, 5 game speeds, a challenge mode and the ability set the player either as always moving (MUCH trickier!) or with the ability to stop.
Unashamedly retro in every aspect, if you want amazing visuals then look elsewhere, but if you want a simple, challenging game that's randomised every time you play it, you might just find this to be your cup of tea.
- Arrow keys or WASD to move
- T or O to teleport (to a random location)
- B or M to launch bomb (clears area immediately around you)
New features in v1.2 :
- Change background colour
- Chose number of Teleports / Bombs / Obstacles per level
New features in v1.4:
- Synthesized speech for each level start
- High score table added
- Linux version released!
New features in v1.41:
- Left-handed controls added (WASD/O/M)
New features in v1.54
- Optional 8-bit loading screen complete with horrible screechy sounds :-)
- High score table for Challenge Mode as well as normal
- Animated characters
- Some more synthesized speech
In order to download this Retro arcade game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $2 USD. You will get access to the following files:
- Steam page is upJun 01, 2020
- v1.54 released for Linux!May 09, 2020
- Updated!May 08, 2020
- Updates coming soonMay 08, 2020
- The Ancient Art of Staying Alive - updated to v1.41 (Windows version)Apr 07, 2020
- v1.4 released!Apr 01, 2020
- Currently working on...Mar 31, 2020
- Free this weekend!Mar 21, 2020
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I see what you mean though I wanted it to be as accessible as possible while offering a good (or brutal!) challenge if you want it to. The easier the game the slower your score increases btw. So the score you could achieve by beating the same level will vary drastically depending on your settings.
My highest score is 47500 - can anyone beat that? Post your high scores
Just destroyed my high score! 61450
I'm sure someone can beat it though...
39850 so far :D
Hmm... just tried this on my laptop, the position of the cursor keys makes it very tricky. I think I'll add an update to let you use WASD as well / instead (?)
v1.41 with alternate control method now available for Windows users (will include it in a later update for Linux).
"It’s simple, incredibly easy to pick up and play, while still maintaining a degree of difficulty. A tweakable degree. The best kind."
One of the most fun parts is using your imagination along with it. Are you a lone survivor running away from a horde of zombies? are you a Rebel space ship escaping a huge empire in space? The only limit is your imagination. The game it self is charming in a simple way and a good time killer, if you're a lover of old atari style games then this will be perfect for you it's like playing minesweeper along with you being allowed to run the things chasing you into bombs and other traps. I had a good time with the game and enjoyed how charming it was.
Thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed it. :-) tbh I'd never thought of it in terms of it being like minesweeper with moving mines, but that's actually quite an apt description!
Planned for future updates:
- Choose background colour
- Select number of times teleport can be used
- Random obstacles
- Some kind of bomb / push weapon to affect nearby enemies